Forum Start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum Start > The University Cafe > Anything And Everything > Black Women Still Negatively Portrayed
Author
Thread
hmurchison
Preferred Member

Black Women Still Negatively Portrayed

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/editorial/15017087.htm

Quote:
Commentary
TV still stereotyping black women
Look at Jerry Springer, 'Supernanny' or 'Grey's Anatomy' for characters with no balance at all.
By Orville Lloyd Douglas
Join a discusssion at The Fishbowl

Chances are you've watched her, the dark-skinned black woman with the weave and the polished clothes. She may have a couple of master's degrees or a doctorate. It doesn't matter because when you see her on TV your immediate perception is to hate her. She's the woman that people laugh about in private, the one they call the "angry black bitch."

Are all black women really like this? Of course not. Yet television networks, which control the images presented to the public, perpetuate these stereotypes.

Look at the Jerry Springer or Maury Povich shows. Young black women are presented as sluts, whores, welfare cheats and bad single mothers who don't know who their children's fathers are.

Contrast that with the ABC-TV show Supernanny, where Jo Frost visits the homes of white women who are invariably good mothers. They bake cookies, cook, clean, love their husbands and children, and live in big, beautiful, spacious houses. These white women live the perfect "American" dream. Has Frost ever visited a black middle-class family with children in suburbia?

Another stereotype is the sassy, overweight black woman.

On ABC-TV's The View, it was Star Jones Reynolds' job to be the Aunt Jemima of American television. However, once Reynolds got married and lost the weight, mainstream America hated her. She was fired, apparently because she no longer wanted to be the punch line.

Of course, the stereotype goes beyond live television or reality TV shows. On the ABC drama Grey's Anatomy, Chandra Wilson plays Dr. Miranda Bailey, who is known as the "Nazi." Bailey is overweight, confrontational, unattractive and a loudmouth. She's also the only black female doctor on the show. By contrast, the star, Ellen Pompeo, is white, young, feminine, fit and attractive.

On the CBS show Close to Home, Kimberly Elise's character Maureen Scofield is the "black widow." She's a lawyer who is single, bossy and aggressive. By contrast, Jennifer Finnigan plays Annabeth Chase, who is loving, vulnerable and feminine. She illustrates the difficulty of balancing a career and a happy marriage.

Some see talk-show host Oprah Winfrey as a positive image, yet she is just another stereotype: the faithful black "mammy." She's the "nurturer" who ignores the friction between black and white women in order not to upset her white female audience.

The few positive images of black women on television are relegated to the fringes. On the UPN show Girlfriends, Joan, Toni, Lynn and Maya are intelligent, attractive, educated black women with successful careers. The show is one of the few devoted to the young black woman's experience. The only other one that comes close, Half and Half - also on UPN - may not return.

Black feminist Audre Lorde wrote in her 1984 book Sister Outsider that white women falsely assume they share a "global sisterhood" with black women. You wouldn't know that from watching television. White women are consistently presented in a more favorable light. There is no balance. Too often, black women are depicted as devils and witches while white women are saints.

It is disingenuous of television to ignore diversity and present such a biased view. There are rich stories and experiences about black women that need to be told. Directors, producers, writers and network executives need to reflect reality.

I totally agree with this. I'm tired tired tired of how are women are portrayed. Black women are the heartbeat of the black family and have a lot more to offer than cardboard "yo go girl" mantras and overemotional responses to everything. I find more black women to be logical and eloquent and to the point.

Television is just evil. Not by design but by the amount of distortion and abuse that flow through it daily. Those that control the airwaves are interested in what's best for their needs rather than an accurate and diverse cross section of opinions and information.

(Last edit:: 8/15/2008 18:08)
7/13/2006 14:59 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
ecjr23

What is going on here is the white executives at these companies are banking on the negative image of the black woman. They want society to see the "angry black woman." This is how they are making their money off of what the public is watching.

If you notice BET is currently doing some major changes, to correct what they have been putting out over the past years. One program comes to mind, BET's Uncut is no longer part of their programing. There is more changes to come with this company.

I am just catching on to the Television One channel, and so far I like what I am seeing. They broadcast a lot of old shows that really appeal to the black community like Good Times, In the House, Martin, etc. These shows and other not only gave us good comedy or story lines, they also gave a message to the community. The one show that I was really crazy about was New York Undercover, it took on a lot of social issues in everyday life. Why did they (white execs) have to cancel this show, and do not tell me because of low ratings??? They were getting better ratings than NYPD Blue and this show stayed on the air for numerous years.

In all of the shows that I mentioned, the women in them were either a caring loving homemaker, business exec, a good police officer, just basically a positive role model for young black women. This is what white Amerikkka do not want today's children to see. They want to fill their heads with the vision of the ghetto woman shaking hers butt to a song calling her nothing but a bunch of B's and H's.

It's time for Black America to wake up! This is not what our leaders fought and died for. At times I am ashamed at what I see in the streets now days. Young girls, barely in puberty, walking around in outfits that makes them look like they belong on the street coners. They want to act mature and have these so called boyfriends, do grown-up acts and end up on drugs, get pregnant, or get involved in an abusive relationship. This is what they see on television and believe it is normal. This is not the way it's suppose to be.

Wake up my black people!

If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have freed thousands more. - Harriet Tubman
8/26/2006 00:07 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
hmurchison
Preferred Member

Exactly. I wonder why we are blaming the rappers for the mysogyny. They are at fault but the Studio is cutting the checks.

We shouldn't be putting up with this garbage anymore.
8/26/2006 22:23 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Lee4love

It is my view that many of us Black Men have a total disrespect for the Black Woman. When she see's many of the Men who approach her--with his hand holding his crotch--what is she to think?
We see the TV shows about the Woman who is looking for her "Baby's Daddy" and she's DNA tested 11 Men--but still no match--what is the general population of Black Woman to do or think for that matter.
It's becoming crazy. I was washing my car a few days ago, I saw a group of teens walking and talking. They happened to be 15, 16 and 17 y/o teen girls. I overhear them saying.."Girl--he's got a fly ride"--now they are not speaking of me. They are speaking of the Man with the "Rims" on his SUV. Then another says--"I'd talk to him for sure"--the next girl says--"I would talk to him and then have another on the side".... Now really--where is this attitude coming from? Angry Black Women????
Some are being shown these images at home. I am firm beleiver of what Bill Cosby has spoken of--we send our children out into the world--without the right tools to work with. On a daily since I have lived in this town in Mississippi. I watch teen walking up and down this street without much to do. They fight each other, sell drugs to each other. The older Men who has the flashy cars--but yet live in the trailer Park--but impregnate them--why do you think many of our Black Women are so angry? No--this is not all of our Black Women. This is just a small piece of the pie. No one can truly say what the cure is. All I can do as a single Parent is--do good things for my sons. Teach them that a open door policy for multiple Women is not goning to happen here. Even in the light of their Mom walking away due to her old teachings. I have to still push my 2 sons--giving them all the tools to educate themselves. Education starts at home, book knowledge as well as some of the street knowledge........LL
8/28/2006 21:41 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
ecjr23

It's kind of funny, when I was a kid growing up in the ghetto, I remember the butt whoopings that I recieved whenever I did anything wrong. I got them from both my mother and my grandma. A lot of my friends parents raised them under strict up bringing as well, all of us turned out to be very responsible adults. What happened with the later generations of children from the late 80's til now?

If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have freed thousands more. - Harriet Tubman
8/31/2006 08:53 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
kristopher9876

If you see the sports it is the black women who completely shadowed the white. In the office and other fields black women are coming up. It's only they have been nagetively projected.

(Adminstrator Edit: No promotional links, per the Message Board Rules MBR. Thanks!)

(Last edit:: 11/22/2006 10:59)
11/21/2006 12:11 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
brian07

Hold up now, I know I'm going to get some backlash from this comment I'm about to post, but I'm here to give my opinion about this situation. First off as far as tv shows like jerry, and maury degrading black women, it's a solution to solve that problem. BLACK WOMEN DONT COME ON THE SHOW. These producers are not putting a gun to these sistas heads and making them look foolish, they do it on there own. Nobody kidnapped these black women, held them hostage, and forced them to go on the show to find there baby daddys, they do it on their own. We can't act like black women are babies and dont know any better, it's all about taking responsibility for ones actions. No black women signing up for the show, equals no maury degrading black women simple as that. And as far as the black women are overweight issue, come on you guys, lets be honest. Most black women over the age of thirty just let themselves go. Your more likely to find a slim white women running on the side of the road with jogging pants on, then a black women running on the side of the road. Your more likely to find a white women at golds gym, then a black women. Like I can line 10 sistas up over the age of 30, and I can almost guarantee 7 of them out of that 10 would either be fat or on the verge of being fat. Compared to a white women. Now I'm not saying all white women are skinny, and all black women over the age of 30 are fat, but its just what I've witness. Tv is just reflecting what the black community is going through. We're being ignorant to pretend like baby mama drama doesn't happen, and black women are all skinny little princesses. If they put that on tv would that make black people happy?!?..I'm black and I'm going to acknowledge whats going on in our community. It's just tv anyways.
11/8/2007 17:34 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
alval24

I love black women!!! I know that these women go through a lot. There are some that are just off the hook!!! I mean look, if a women wants a thug it's ususally because that who will accept her. If a women is from the hood and she is ghetto fabulous, than an educated brotha is going to look down on her like for example brian07 (no disrespect) These thug dudes at least give them a time of day, and make them feel special for a minute. It may sound ignorant but all women need love. WHether its a hood rat or an educated sistah. I know that these music videos corrupt outr sistahs, but there is still hope. I will never give up on a sistah. She has mor strength than you can ever imagine. She is just lost. To my black women, I don't care if you have 20 baby daddy's, I want you to dig deep down inside and prove these brothas wrong. Think and take a look at your life and say is this what I really want. If you don't do that, Brian 07 stands correct. I have faith and know that these sistahs are mis represented. Who cares if a woman is fat by the age of 30. You try being a single mother at the age of 30. I know its not easy. i have a 1 year old daughter and I know that they can drive you to the point where you want to eat some Fried Chicken or a pork chop. Sistahs please be strong for our kids and our kid's kids. I love all you black queens.
12/6/2007 22:56 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
jd1

http://www.diversityinc.com/public/2174.cfm

Tired of hearing negative reports on black men in America and not knowing whether they're true? Being fed up with the lies and distortions about black men that proliferate throughout the media caused Janks Morton to create the documentary "What Black Men Think," which seeks to debunk common myths that most people take for granted as fact, including black men and women. Watch a preview on YouTube.

"Black men are the most analyzed probed, prodded, under-studied, over-studied group ever," Morton said in a Black Entertainment Television (BET) interview. "Whenever data comes out about us, they're going to skew it to the negative of us."

Debunking 4 Myths

Here are four major myths and statistics that "What Black Men Think" attacks:

Myth 1: There are more black men in jail than in college. That study came out of the Justice Policy Institute in 2002. Morton's research revealed that 805,000 black men were in college and 757,000 black men were in jail. "Of course that's bad, but the actual storyline was there were more black men in jail than college," Morton told BET. "That's untrue. The study was flawed. The sample was flawed. The data was flawed."

The Justice Policy Institute responded that there were more college-aged black men in college than were incarcerated. But the study researched incarcerated men ages 18 and older; because of that larger sample group, the number of black men in jail is higher than the number of black men in college.

Morton visited that statistic again looking at 2005 numbers. His research revealed that of black men ages 18 to 24, there was a 4-to-1 ratio of black men in college to black men incarcerated.

Myth 2: Secretly bisexual black men explain the high incidence of black women contracting HIV/AIDS. "What Black Men Think" reveals that 2 percent of HIV/AIDS cases in black women were contracted from black men. Furthermore, 50 percent of black women who died from AIDS contracted the disease from intravenous-drug use or sex with an intravenous-drug user.

Myth 3: Half of all black men do not graduate high school. Morton's research revealed that 78 percent of black-male high-school students have graduated or got their GED.

Myth 4: A high percentage of black men marry white women. Morton asked black people the percentage of black men they thought married white women, and the most common answer was at least 30 percent. His research, however, showed that percentage to be significantly lower. Of interracial marriages involving black men, 5 percent are with white women.

(See also: Which Races Intermarry Most? 40th Anniversary of the Loving Case)

Believing the myths, stereotypes and misconceptions about who black men are is causing black men and women to be suspicious of one another, says Morton.

"I know it has led to our division," Morton said to BET. "We are the most highly disjoined race of all. Men have internalized the message. Women have internalized the message and we look at each other very, very suspiciously."

Morton hopes "What Black Men Think" will become a "reclamation of who we are."

3/17/2008 12:41 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
jd1

http://www.diversityinc.com/public/2174.cfm

Tired of hearing negative reports on black men in America and not knowing whether they're true? Being fed up with the lies and distortions about black men that proliferate throughout the media caused Janks Morton to create the documentary "What Black Men Think," which seeks to debunk common myths that most people take for granted as fact, including black men and women. Watch a preview on YouTube.

"Black men are the most analyzed probed, prodded, under-studied, over-studied group ever," Morton said in a Black Entertainment Television (BET) interview. "Whenever data comes out about us, they're going to skew it to the negative of us."

Debunking 4 Myths

Here are four major myths and statistics that "What Black Men Think" attacks:

Myth 1: There are more black men in jail than in college. That study came out of the Justice Policy Institute in 2002. Morton's research revealed that 805,000 black men were in college and 757,000 black men were in jail. "Of course that's bad, but the actual storyline was there were more black men in jail than college," Morton told BET. "That's untrue. The study was flawed. The sample was flawed. The data was flawed."

The Justice Policy Institute responded that there were more college-aged black men in college than were incarcerated. But the study researched incarcerated men ages 18 and older; because of that larger sample group, the number of black men in jail is higher than the number of black men in college.

Morton visited that statistic again looking at 2005 numbers. His research revealed that of black men ages 18 to 24, there was a 4-to-1 ratio of black men in college to black men incarcerated.

Myth 2: Secretly bisexual black men explain the high incidence of black women contracting HIV/AIDS. "What Black Men Think" reveals that 2 percent of HIV/AIDS cases in black women were contracted from black men. Furthermore, 50 percent of black women who died from AIDS contracted the disease from intravenous-drug use or sex with an intravenous-drug user.

Myth 3: Half of all black men do not graduate high school. Morton's research revealed that 78 percent of black-male high-school students have graduated or got their GED.

Myth 4: A high percentage of black men marry white women. Morton asked black people the percentage of black men they thought married white women, and the most common answer was at least 30 percent. His research, however, showed that percentage to be significantly lower. Of interracial marriages involving black men, 5 percent are with white women.

(See also: Which Races Intermarry Most? 40th Anniversary of the Loving Case)

Believing the myths, stereotypes and misconceptions about who black men are is causing black men and women to be suspicious of one another, says Morton.

"I know it has led to our division," Morton said to BET. "We are the most highly disjoined race of all. Men have internalized the message. Women have internalized the message and we look at each other very, very suspiciously."

Morton hopes "What Black Men Think" will become a "reclamation of who we are."

3/17/2008 12:41 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
missAlisa

alval24 wrote:
I love black women!!! I know that these women go through a lot. There are some that are just off the hook!!! I mean look, if a women wants a thug it's ususally because that who will accept her. If a women is from the hood and she is ghetto fabulous, than an educated brotha is going to look down on her like for example brian07 (no disrespect) These thug dudes at least give them a time of day, and make them feel special for a minute. It may sound ignorant but all women need love. WHether its a hood rat or an educated sistah. I know that these music videos corrupt outr sistahs, but there is still hope. I will never give up on a sistah. She has mor strength than you can ever imagine. She is just lost. To my black women, I don't care if you have 20 baby daddy's, I want you to dig deep down inside and prove these brothas wrong. Think and take a look at your life and say is this what I really want. If you don't do that, Brian 07 stands correct. I have faith and know that these sistahs are mis represented. Who cares if a woman is fat by the age of 30. You try being a single mother at the age of 30. I know its not easy. i have a 1 year old daughter and I know that they can drive you to the point where you want to eat some Fried Chicken or a pork chop. Sistahs please be strong for our kids and our kid's kids. I love all you black queens.

you are so right
8/6/2008 23:58 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
doneit

I'll tell all of you to try this on for size. Put a white man and a black man in the same room and send in a black woman. Then you'll see for yourself who gets the respect, the black man or the white man.
7/24/2009 18:22 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
doneit

One day Daddy King checked into a southern hotel. He walked up to the receptionist and this black woman looked up and said, "what do you want?"
Daddy King was shocked this black woman would address a black man in such a manner. The white chauffer brought Daddy King's luggage in and the black receptionist, looked up and said, "may I help you sir?"

I was invited to Birgminham, Ala. a few years ago. I took a handful of black community leaders to the Department of Transportation. Upon entering, the director greet us and we saw black women, white women and white men working. I asked, where are the black men. The manager called down to the stock room and had two black men come upstairs.

In my position, I've managed and directed over 6000 employees. Sometimes I'd walk around and black women not knowing would disdain, frown or turn their nose up in the air. When my white subordinates come into the room, these black women grin like chess cats. Naw, they should have grin when I came in.

I've taught classes all over America with nothing but black women sitting in the class. Looking at the sneers and turned down lips, I walk out and get a white boy that might be 5 levels below me to teach the class. I'm not going to put up with foolishness. After awhile I might peek inside a window to see how it's going and those black women are just grinning like there's no tomorrow.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend everything is honky dory and I'm telling it like it is.
8/1/2009 15:38 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
doneit

The way black women are displayed on television is the way white society sees black women. I've been places where black women singing and dancing like slaves for the master. Later on, white men and white women talk about black women acting like aunt jane and they actually come out and say, they know that the black woman is trying to kiss up to them but, they aren't going to let her know that they know what's going on. These white people want to keep that black woman singing and dancing, the sister ain't got enough sense to know better.

Yeah, it's not just women either. Look at black police officers, male and female knocking black folks up side the head. Then turn around and ask a white police officer, did I do good master. Now that black police officer is outside his jurisdiction, dressed in civilian clothes and white police stop him. The black policeman identify himself as a fellow officer that the white officer will tell him to shut the hell up.
8/1/2009 15:48 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum Start > The University Cafe > Anything And Everything > Black Women Still Negatively Portrayed

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.

Mybrotha.COM Home | News | Articles | Relationships | Health | Lifestyle | Entertainment | Business | Jobs & Careers
Quizzes | SpotLight | Message Boards | Sitemap | Links | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy
© 2002-2008 Mybrotha.COM   All Rights Reserved