Forum Start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum Start > The University Cafe > News Headlines & Stories > Oprah Winfrey Criticized For School In Africa
Author
Thread
Sarina22

Oprah Winfrey Criticized For School In Africa
It absolutely appalls me that so many "prominent" folks are criticizing Oprah Winfrey for building the multi-million dollar girls' school in Africa. How in the world can there be anything wrong with her helping disadvantage African girls?

It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Any thoughts or opinions on Oprah's generosity, or the backlash she's receiving?
1/9/2007 20:01 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
VickanS
Preferred Member

I agree. I heard about the school on the news, but had not heard any comments from those prominent blacks until I saw this post and read the story:
http://www.mybrotha.com/oprah-girls-school.asp

Praise to Oprah for spending her money wisely and helping black children in Africa.
1/14/2007 10:21 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
detroitchild

I agree with you Sarina22. It appears that Oprah is trying to affect change for blacks on a global scale...an important idea/tactic that is always missing in the discussions of "prominent" black folks. Though I have no proof of it I'd bet that these are the same people that criticized Bill Cosby on his stance of black accountability.

Just a thought!
1/16/2007 10:10 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Sarina22

Detroitchild you are ABSOLUTELY correct. Two "prominent" men that I can think of questioned Oprah's generosity and mentioned Cosby in the same interviews!

I think I'm allowed to post this link since it's a related news story:

http://secure.dataovation.com/releases/2007/1/prweb495759.htm

Unbelievable to me.
1/17/2007 19:39 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
detroitchild

Wow Sabrina22, it amazes me how Dr. Marc Lamont Hill and Dr. Boyce Watkins (and write books like Michael Dyson) can get on the airwaves to discuss what's wrong with Cosby/Winfrey's tactics and comments of addressing what ills the black diaspora but you don't see them putting forth strategies to address
1/23/2007 10:18 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
detroitchild

Wow Sabrina22, it amazes me how Dr. Marc Lamont Hill and Dr. Boyce Watkins (and write books like Michael Dyson) can get on the airwaves to discuss what's wrong with Cosby/Winfrey's tactics and comments of addressing what ails the black diaspora but you don't see them putting forth strategies to address the problems themselves (at least I have not heard or read of them). You may not agree with the methods of Bill and Oprah but at least they are putting their money, time, and resources where their mouths are.
1/23/2007 10:23 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
VickanS
Preferred Member

Quote:
You may not agree with the methods of Bill and Oprah but at least they are putting their money, time, and resources where their mouths are.

Yes indeed. If those other folks dont have the money or drive to do with Oprah did, let her be and respect her wishes to invest in the future of african youth.
1/27/2007 14:53 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
hmurchison
Preferred Member

I applaud Oprah's efforts.

The areas she's attempting to help are areas in which the kids don't have even the options that a innercity black child has here in America.

While her statement about innercity American youth might seem pejorative it really isn't that far from the truth. Watkins and Hill have their point but it's really auxilliary from the core issue here which is empowering children with knowledge so that they may have a better future.
1/31/2007 03:13 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Edward

I am from Africa nad South Africa to be more specific and it appals me that some people criticize Oprah for the work she is doing in Africa, for some of us here, there isnt a chance for us to ever make it in life and with a school like that these girls stand a better chance in life, not only for themselves but for their families too. I wonder how many of Oprah's critics have actually done anything to help their fellow man out
2/12/2007 03:18 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
hmurchison
Preferred Member

They haven't done shat. They're just a bunch of writers with a new story based on their complaints. IF you can't make it in America you can't make it anywhere.
2/12/2007 18:01 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
vance87

Let me first say that I absolutely have no problem with Oprah's humanitarian effort for the South African girls. Any help for any disadvantaged is always a good thing. Secondly, I also believe she has every right to spend her vast resources the way she sees fit. But I also feel that Oprah has opened herself up for criticism that has been long overdue. I believe she has gotten a relatively free ride (from criticism) primarily because she's a black woman.

At least with Cosby, he's been on the front lines of education in this country for years. Everyone knows that his education advocacy for black folks is his passion. He's earned the right to be so critical. I respectfully disagree with his detractors in this case. Oprah has had an antagonistic aura as pertains to black men from her shows inception. Poll any brotha about Oprah and the opinions run along the lines of mild disappointment to outright hostile. Most reference the negative images of us with her early shows. The appearance that her personal experiences (rape) clearly seep through whenever brothas are the main topic or just men in general.

Being as famous as she is and having such a prominent platform to boot, one would think that she would at least try to repair or at least address this obvious disconnect. She hasn't. Like Dr. Watkins suggested, she entertains the safe celebrities that she and her viewing audience feel "comfortable" with.
She has advocated for almost every interest group that seems to be under attack , misunderstood, or disenfranchised. Black men have been discussed as the most endangered group and its biggest problem. You'd think that would garner some understanding from her influential platform. Outside of reinforcing the status quo, I fail to see where Oprah should not be called to task.

4/15/2007 04:14 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum Start > The University Cafe > News Headlines & Stories > Oprah Winfrey Criticized For School In Africa

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.

Mybrotha.COM Home | News | Articles | Relationships | Health | Lifestyle | Entertainment | Business | Jobs & Careers
Quizzes | SpotLight | Message Boards | Sitemap | Links | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy
© 2002-2008 Mybrotha.COM   All Rights Reserved