Forum Start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum Start > The University Cafe > Anything And Everything > 2007 State of the Black Union
Author
Thread
detroitchild

2007 State of the Black Union
Did anyone out there see the 2007 State of the Black Union meeting hosted by Tavis Smiley this weekend? Has anyone read his Covenant With Black America books? I'd like to know what you all think about this movement...is it worthwhile or is it a waste of time?
2/15/2007 09:00 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
VickanS
Preferred Member

Yes I saw it and I've watched it the past two years. The dialogue is great, but can sometimes seem like a lot of "talk". I applaud Tavis for starting it and those who participate.

I havent read the entire Covenant, but it is full of good information and plans of action. I think the problem is changing and influencing the minds of black people so that we can all get on the same agenda.
2/16/2007 11:19 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Jack

I think if more activist would incorporate the Holy Spirit into their fight, then there might very well be a way to get some changes made. Too often activists want to claim to be spiritual but not Christian. They want something to happen in terms of changes made, but fail to realize that nothing is going to be Blessed unless it is asked in His name and he honors that prayer.
3/12/2007 14:20 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
detroitchild

Well Jack, I don't think that just evoking religion will solve many of the issues mentioned at the State of the Black Union (my opinion only). We probably have more churches and as much religion as any group in this country yet we have some serious issues that are not being addressed by most (not all) religious leaders. I am one of those who claim spirituality...not Christianity yet I believe that changes will come from the actions (blessings aside) of us as individuals, leaders, organizations and communities. This has to be a team effort consisting of us that are religious and those of us who are not.

3/18/2007 11:13 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Blksthrnbelle

I agree with what you had to say detroitchild. I have no problem with organized religion, I am a Christian not a robot. I once belonged to a church where I was hated on for speaking against the way people were treating those that were less affluent. Some of these same people were at the Tavis event. I mean people in the positions of Deacon etc., they saw me and my daugher and looked the other way. They have done nothing with what they heard. Just the way they go to church and say they went is the same way they treat the great forum of ideas that was exchanged on that day. They can stick out their chest and proclaim they were at the event. The only reason some went was because it was at Hampton University and it coincided with the Jamestown celebration. NOw they think they are part of history.
5/27/2007 20:32 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
noon

i believe that we are doing a lot better than we percieve to be
8/14/2007 20:43 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum Start > The University Cafe > Anything And Everything > 2007 State of the Black Union

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.

Mybrotha.COM Home | News | Articles | Relationships | Health | Lifestyle | Entertainment | Business | Jobs & Careers
Quizzes | SpotLight | Message Boards | Sitemap | Links | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy
© 2002-2008 Mybrotha.COM   All Rights Reserved