Forum Start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum Start > The University Cafe > Anything And Everything > The Hip Hop Culture
Author
Thread
( [1] 2 >> ... Last page)
ecjr23

The Hip Hop Culture
I know that there are a lot of people out there on this board, that can actually remember when hip hop came to main stream music. Back in the day, just my opinion, the music had powerful messages and meanings. Today it's nothing but how much money is in your pocket, how many women you had sex with, grills, cars, and dissin' each other. It is sad that todays younger generation are really buying into what they see in these videos. I am sick and tired of seeing a young brother walking around with his pants down around his thighs, to the point that you can obviously notice that he has to walk funny to keep them up. And sisters with the half t-shirts on that you know are 3 sizes too small. Wearing their jeans so low, just so their thong can show for all to see. Everything in the videos are not real. Some of these rappers do not own the cars, jewlery, houses, or boats that are shown; they rent these things for that video and return them. What are your thoughts people?

If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have freed thousands more. - Harriet Tubman
4/26/2006 19:59 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
willie6

I think your opinion is the same as a lot of people. I consider myself still young but some of the rap music these days is silly. Now I dont mind looking at the honeys in the vids but thats only because Im a man and like looking at women. I dont believe in that 'bit--', this... 'ho-' that kinda stuff. I think that is disrespectful. I have a mama and a sista myself and I wouldnt wont somebody talking about them that way.

But you right. The rap from the 80s and early 90s was real "off the chain" as the young folks say! Maybe it was because rap was still kinda new and the artists were trying to discover themselves.

But it done grew to something disrespectful to women, negative influence on our kids. If i was 13 and saw stuff in rap videos that I see today, I probably woud have passed out!
4/27/2006 06:55 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
hmurchison
Preferred Member

Mainstream Hip-Hop has been destroyed by the music industry. Any kind of positive lyrics or intelligent social commentary is replaced by gold fronts and broken english.

It's our fault thought as people. We are still reporting to non blacks. We're still at their mercy regarding how are people are portrayed. Think about this

Professor Griff was booted from Public Enemy for making some mild anti semitic statements. Puff Daddy came under fire for saying "I have Asian women cleaning my linen"

Yes the denigration of black women is ok. Yet the genocidic comments about killing your fellow brother are ok?

I grew up with Hip Hop and in the beginning there was room for a lot different rappers but now I'm just seeing the worst of the worst being paraded in front of us like some minstrel act. It's embarassing.
4/27/2006 07:50 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
johnparker247365

Hip Hop Isn't the Same and it probably will never be again!
I can't listen to the newer stuff these days because most newer Hip Hop is all about negativity. Everyone talks about b*tches, h*es, money, cribs and cars. Who cares?

Remember the days when you could relate to an MC? I don't have millions of dollars and I don't plan on paying 15 bucks to hear someone brag about the fact that they do.

Back in the day, MCs represented their communities and crews. They needed little or no curse words to express themselves. And they had something called RANGE...remember that?

An "old school" MC could break another down like a storage rack and dis you on wax in funny way.

There was little talk of guns and violence.

Even the early morning radio DJ's are rude, crude and do little to promote positive black images.

..If anyone would like to help me out by rating the top 8 most influentual black movies between 1983-1995 on my site's home page, please navigate to: urbancelebritynews.com

My site is only 7 days young so any help is appreciated. Stay Strong!

(Last edit:: 6/20/2006 07:45)
5/16/2006 18:41 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Sparkle

The problem with Hip Hop is that it doesn't tell a story anymore. That's what made Hip Hop such a crucial and elemental artistic medium. LL Cool J and RunDMC all had a story to tell whether it was about an around the way girl or the love for a pair of addidas. There's nothing wrong about celebrating your success with material goods as long as you and your listeners realize what it took for you to be successful and material goods are by no means an example of the truly successful just sprinkle on top of a well made cake. As for the portrayl of women in hip hop. That is just an abomination. Why must you degrade us to make yourself seem more powerful. Being a pimp and a player is nothing to celebrate both are trifling cowards that use others for personal gain. How can you control your life if it depends on the work of someone else. What is truly sad is that all this crap is being seen around the world how can we get any respect from other people if our own men are talking about us this way.
6/18/2006 16:45 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
VickanS
Preferred Member

Very true, Sparkle. Very true!!
6/20/2006 07:48 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
ecjr23

The one thing I am having a hard time understanding, remember just a few months ago Bow Wow said that Will Smith was not a true rapper. Here is a young man that was brought out by Snoop Dogg when he was just around 8 or 9yrs old. Will Smith to me is a very talented and gifted rapper, who adds story telling to his music. This is something that Bow Wow could not accomplish. I think he is really feeling himself since he's been with Ciara.

If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have freed thousands more. - Harriet Tubman
6/20/2006 23:17 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Sparkle

Didn't Ciara just dump Bow Wow?LOL
6/21/2006 09:47 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
hmurchison
Preferred Member

Bow Wow is far too arrogant. I've heard some really dumb things come out of his mouth. I know his parents have tried to keep him level headed but it's a hard thing to do when money and power corrupt.

Many of us grew up with Will Smith rapping. He was one of the Rappers that popularized the genre paving the way for Bow Wow's success. This is a young man that is talking over his head.
6/21/2006 10:14 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
ecjr23

Now my favorite rapper of all time is Pac. Not for the fact that he tried to portray the THUG image, but because he of his awareness of the struggles that our parents went through, when they were growing up in the '60s and '70s.

6/24/2006 08:19 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
rodrice

Rap is become too much of a business. That is not totally a bad thing, it is doing wonders for the Black community. But the mainstream rappers are too commerical. Underground rap is where its at. Real hip hop heads know what I mean. It may never get back to its roots but hopefully it will not get totally like wall street.
6/24/2006 22:59 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
ecjr23

I look at this as to where the white man is once again making money off of something created by the black culture. They want the violent lyrics, the half naked booty shakers, and the bling bling. This is what sells to the younger listeners. It's up to the parents to teach their kids that this is not the way life is suppose to be. Hip Hop started out as a way of telling a story of rising up in the ghettos of AmeriKKKa and over coming lifes obsticles. It was also a way of putting a message out to the community when is came to drugs and poverty. Now these kids celebrate gun violence, disrespecting our women, and robbing from each other. What is wrong with this picture?

8/1/2006 21:51 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
VickanS
Preferred Member

Well, I cannot say that I know a whole lot about underground rap, or hip-hop in general. But I do know that most folks claim (like rodrice said) that the best rappers are probably underground. The commerical rappers are just the ones who happened to know somebody, who knew somebody, who knew somebody that got them a studio gig. Kind of like basketball players.... some of the best ones aren't in the NBA.

But I always like KRS-One's style. He seemed really knowledgeable and his lyrics seemed to prove that.
8/3/2006 16:19 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
ecjr23

I am just wondering when are we going to see a change in the garbage that is being put out today??? Sooner or later the public is going to get tired of hearing about all the bling bling, fast women and cars.

8/10/2006 09:13 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
kristopher9876

Hip hop
Hip hop is a cultural movement that began among (but is not limited to) African-American and Puerto Rican communities in the South Bronx in the late 1970s. Portions of the culture began spreading into the mainstream during the early 1980s; by the 1990s, hip hop culture had spread all over the world. The movement is said to have begun with the work of DJ Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, Afrika Bambaattaa and Disco King Mario. These days the underground hip hop community is a growing force online, led by social network video sites like RapSpace.TV

(Adminstrator Edit: No promotional links, per the Message Board Rules MBR. Thanks!)

(Last edit:: 1/27/2007 14:47)
1/24/2007 12:03 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
hmurchison
Preferred Member

Well the Underground needs to come to the foreground. I"m tired of the mainstream buffoons.
1/31/2007 03:14 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum Start > The University Cafe > Anything And Everything > The Hip Hop Culture
Pages: 2 ( [1] 2 >> ... Last page)

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.

Mybrotha.COM Home | News | Articles | Relationships | Health | Lifestyle | Entertainment | Business | Jobs & Careers
Quizzes | SpotLight | Message Boards | Sitemap | Links | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy
© 2002-2008 Mybrotha.COM   All Rights Reserved