Forum Start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum Start > Books & Movies > What Are You Reading? > Hill Harper's "Letters to a Young Brother"
Author
Thread
distinguished_blkbruh

Hill Harper's "Letters to a Young Brother"
Today on 106&Park, actor and Harvard Law School graduate is now an author. He mentioned his book and told his story of the difficulties of getting it published, due to its audience was the young black men; and as we all know, America does not believe we read. I've only started reading it, because it just came out but it is an inspiration to me as a young black man, and any other brothers out there. I'm not going to tell the book but it is an inspirational guide to motivate young black men to take their place in the world, outside of the "misguided views of success through media, music, and negative celebrity role models" (Harper). They are available at many major book stores.
5/22/2006 20:38 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
VickanS
Preferred Member

Thanks for that information. Harper is a very accomplished actor, but doesn't seem to get a lot of credit. He's been around for a while and is a very intelligent brotha. I think he stars in CSI:NY these days, but he's probably on other shows too.

I'd be interested in that book. Sounds inspiring.
5/23/2006 10:47 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
hmurchison
Preferred Member

Much respect to Harper. I'll support him. Didn't know he was Havard Law but I knew he was something special.

5/23/2006 10:55 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
rodrice

Yeah I recently heard of Mr. Harper's book. I love the idea. Being a member of the 100 Black men this is a passion of mine. I love to encourage young black men to advance in life. To have more authors or successful black men do this is wonderful. I know I will heading to a book store to check this one out. Oh yeah Black men do read. Not all of us but some. I know I get looked at funny sometimes, when Im sitting in a book store or any place because my face is deep in a book. I just love to learn, and really learn about the black experience. So this book is a most have for me.
6/24/2006 23:53 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
hmurchison
Preferred Member

I'll need to pick this book up as well and show Mr Harper a little love.

So much talent in black men and women exists yet the world never sees this.

Reading is fundamental...if your child isn't reading. If your brother or sister isn't reading then for all intents and purposes you are entering the world handicapped.

The things that people don't tell you verbally are hidden in the documents and you have to feel comfortable enough to root the truth out.
6/25/2006 08:59 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
younggiftedandblack

I got this back when it 1st dropped it is a nice read with some sound advice for young guys. I got a copy for my younger brother, but the advice doesn't seem to have sunk in yet.
9/13/2006 10:44 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
VickanS
Preferred Member

This is a very good read for young black men. Too bad it didn't get the attention it should have. But I agree with rodrice. I get some funny looks sometimes when I'm hanging out in the bookstore.
9/18/2006 15:50 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum Start > Books & Movies > What Are You Reading? > Hill Harper's "Letters to a Young Brother"

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.

Mybrotha.COM Home | News | Articles | Relationships | Health | Lifestyle | Entertainment | Business | Jobs & Careers
Quizzes | SpotLight | Message Boards | Sitemap | Links | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy
© 2002-2008 Mybrotha.COM   All Rights Reserved