Forum Start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum Start > The University Cafe > Anything And Everything > Where did all the hate come from?
Author
Thread
Norvell

Where did all the hate come from?
As a black man if you look in the news or television there is a huge lack of positive images of black men. If we look at our past we have always been despised in one way or another for instance where thought of as stupid unintelligent and incorrigible. Society looks at us as if we have nothing to offer and were a waist of space. Let’s not talk about the state of male and female relationships in the black community. How did we go from the head to the tail if you’re a responsible man then your looked at a s special or an exception? When did dumping on a black man become ok and what does it do for the image of younger brothers who already feel they have no hope for success. When will we stop being the dumping ground for society’s ill’s and siestas venting. Everyone checks us but when do they check themselves?
6/11/2006 12:04 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
hmurchison
Preferred Member

It's always been there. If you're a good black man that's doing the right thing you're invisible. If you have a Master's Degree in Ebonics with gold and platinum fronts then chances are you're front and center.

How else can you explain why Condi Rice, a woman of impeccable academic achievement, is given less respect in the black community than Snoop Dog or some other entertainment personality.

Why do I see young black kids in seattle washington the most liberal and progressive state on the left coast, milling around with crazy hair styles and poor clothes?

We have to do better at promoting the stars within our culture that are doing great things. Why aren't we seeing a bunch of movies about black culture that don't center around violence or dysfunctional relationships?

I'm disappointed that affecting change is taking so long. My son is just four years old but I need to prepare him for world that is unforgiving in its stereotypes of his culture.

6/12/2006 20:33 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
VickanS
Preferred Member

I agree with you both. And I think the problem starts in the home, and ends with society. There just aren't a lot of ethical standards being taught to kids these days. I won't say it's all on the fathers, because some of it is just bad family upbringing.

Of course even if a young man is raised with a level head, he is shown so much flesh and negativity on tv. Like Norvell said, there is a lack of positive images of black men. Most images we see show men gawking at women, trying to get the most stylish clothes and cars, and doing whatever it takes to 'feel' good.

The power players in society sit back and watch it happen.
6/12/2006 20:54 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Norvell

The thing that that still puzzles me is how we as African Americans watch more television than anyone else. But control less of the market for TV shows and advertisement if we controlled more of these avenues than we could actually improve the image of black men. Because if anyone has not noticed black women have started hating on us even harder than before I it’s like we are no longer needed except for examples of what not to be and blame.
6/13/2006 11:08 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
hmurchison
Preferred Member

Exactly. When BET sold out to Viacom you basically lost any real black owned media establishment capable of making an impact.

Please don't accuse me of being Anti -Semitc but I've felt for a while that if there was a insurgence of Jewish rappers calling each other Kyke on the radio that ish would be shut down before you could blink an eye.

Since we do not control any large media outlets you get stuff like the Katrina looting incidents where blacks are looting and whites are "finding food"

We've got to get from under the Democrats foot and begin to question why we are still dooing poorly as a whole. Sure you can point to a few bright stars but we need to uplift more of our people. I know we have the right stuff but anger and resentment is not being channeled into success.

I think it's about time I started giving back to my community. Can't wait to finish school and start mentoring some young people who need to know how the world REALLY works. Schools simply aren't preparing our kids for the world as we adults know it.

6/13/2006 12:23 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Norvell

We need to pre-pair our children for a multicultural society they have to be ready to deal with the world. They have to be pre-paired to do business with the world market set standers for themselves and be competitive but still remain grounded.
6/13/2006 14:11 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
ecjr23

We need to all learn a second langauge, like spanish for example. More and more hispanic immigrants are coming to the US and only speak spanish. This is what most employers are looking for, people that are bilingual get that extra incentive. If you look at other countries, they teach their children other langauges as part of their normal class requirement.

If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have freed thousands more. - Harriet Tubman
6/24/2006 08:28 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum Start > The University Cafe > Anything And Everything > Where did all the hate come from?

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.

Mybrotha.COM Home | News | Articles | Relationships | Health | Lifestyle | Entertainment | Business | Jobs & Careers
Quizzes | SpotLight | Message Boards | Sitemap | Links | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy
© 2002-2008 Mybrotha.COM   All Rights Reserved