Forum Start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum Start > Entertainment > Celebrity Gossip > Is Oprah discriminating against rappers?
Author
Thread
( [1] 2 >> ... Last page)
ecjr23

Is Oprah discriminating against rappers?
I love Oprah, this is a strong black woman. And we all know where she came from and about her childhood. But can Oprah turn her back on rappers that has made a positive change in their life? I'll admit not all of the rappers that are out right now are good role models for our children. But when you have someone like Ice Cube, Ludicris, and Jay Z, you have to admit these are success stories.

How do you feel about this?

If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have freed thousands more. - Harriet Tubman
6/20/2006 22:56 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
hmurchison
Preferred Member

How is she turning her back on these Rappers?
6/21/2006 10:15 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
ecjr23

When was the last time you've seen Ice Cube on her show discussing one of his latest film projects?

If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have freed thousands more. - Harriet Tubman
6/24/2006 08:07 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Sparkle

Oprah can't turn her back on those who are already backwards. When has Ice Cube ever done or said anything to uplift black women? He is just as bad or worse as the people rapping today. Why would she want a man on her show who said something like "Women are nothing but Ho's and Tricks." Please, I wouldn't invite him on my show either. When she was on the Ed Lover show on Power 105.1 a New York radio station she said that one of the reasons why she stopped doing shows about the KKK and other negative things like that is because she realized that people were not getting out of it what she intended. She intended to show the ignorance of these people and that, that type of thinking is wrong.Unfortunately, instead she realized she was just offering these idiots a platform to vent their hate. I think she is doing the same thing to rappers. Yes, I know that most rappers don't HATE women but I can't assume that everyone else is as smart as me. I wouldn't want someone on my show with that kind of "Pimps up, Ho's Down' mentality. Why should I give him a platform that I worked hard to build while his whole career has been built by putting people like me down. It's easy to discriminate against those who discriminate against me. The one thing I will admit to is that she should use the show to show more GOOD black men not just those who cheat and are on the DL. There are so many GOOD black authors out that she could showcase.
6/24/2006 08:42 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
ecjr23

Good point Sparkle.

6/25/2006 08:31 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
hmurchison
Preferred Member

Oprah's inaction though in this area points to a deficiency within the Black Community that no one likes to talk about.

How can we see the truly affluent blacks affecting their culture at large? How can Oprah, Bill Cosby and other successful blacks "clear the brush" for posterity? Those of us with children want our children to have a superior childhood and adulthood than our own.

You know about every 4-5 years I read some story about some posh store that refuses to let Oprah in. There's a furor over it and then life returns back to its normal state. I think it should be clear to Oprah that as a black woman she still subject to the disrespect and prejudice and ignorance that we all are. Sure when people find out it's Oprah they change but every now and then she gets a taste of what it was like when she wasn't a star.

This dovetails into my final point. Those who have found success should feel some moral obligation to pull their people out of the morass that many find. I'm not saying that you cut people a check but I'm saying that you wish to have more positive rappers or writers or actors or whatever then you "Promote" them. You mentor them and give them a stage to shine.

Take Jewish people. They don't walk around saying "Just because I'm Jewish doesn't mean I have to help you" they rally around each other and if they can help another Jew succeed then they take comfort and pride in that. Steven Spielberg gave a young NYU film student $5000 to finish his short film school project years ago. That same director is now in high demand and doing well. He'd do ANYTHING for Spielberg because a door was opened for him and he's just waiting for the opportunity to return the favor.

Blacks in America have been conditioned to take our success and immediately go on spending sprees trying to fill up some black hole with "stuff". The think that most people find genuinely satisfying is helping another person succeed.

Ice Cube or Snoop Dog or countless other rappers may have called women b's and ho's. However the reality is that the person cutting the check to make their album likely wasn't black. Most of these rappers come from middle to lower class backgrounds. To get paid they're going to say whatever they can to sell some records. Had we got a hold of these young men and women and gotten in front of the situation we could have prevented a situation in which non-blacks are profitting greatly from the misogyny and negative message that now comes from mainstream hip hop.

We are all linked by our culture and I realize on a daily basis that I cannot turn my back on those who have strayed from the course and not suffer myself. Money talks...if I can be put in a situation to mentor my young blacks and open doors then I can prevent negative music from coming. I can prevent another young black from joining the new 21st Plantation and becoming another beast of burden.
6/25/2006 08:55 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
VickanS
Preferred Member

Very good points Sparkle and hmurchison. I believe that there is a lot of truth in what both of you say. When it comes down to bare essentials, Oprah owns the show and can have whomever she pleases on it, right?

But that's simplistic thinking. The real reason this is an issue is because of what hmurch eluded to: (Reaching a success point and giving back to the community) I have no doubts that Oprah has done things to give back (Did a REALLY good job in gathering those special sistas for the Legends Ball!), but this topic is focusing on what she's done for Black men.

She's in one of the most powerful positions in this country, and probably the world. If she says, "This book is good.", people read it. If she says, "This recipe is good." People make it. With that type of influence, a lot of Black people don't understand why she can totally ignore the hip hop community.

If anything, Oprah could at least gather a few popular rappers and have them on her show (under her strict terms, of course) and really grill them about their style of entertainment.

Think about it: If Oprah wanted to totally disrupt the hip hop/rap industry, she could have Ice Cube, or Three 6 Mafia on and ask them things like: "So... do you really have misogynist views?" "Do you understand that your words are negatively affecting young Black boys and girls?"

If she could pin those guys down (and the interview would be scripted) to such responses as, "Yes, Ms. Winfrey... we know how harsh hip hop can be, and we're going to try and change it."

I know that sounds like fantasy, but if anyone could make an impact... it's Oprah. Yet she chooses to totally ignore them.
6/27/2006 20:42 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Sarina22

It would not hurt me one bit if Oprah didn't give these rappers time on her show. It's her show, and she is allowed to showcase who ever she pleases.

Plus, these rappers do not have a history of promoting Black women (or Black men, for that matter), so why should she have them on the show?

Kind of what Vickans said, if she does have them on the show, it should be on her terms and she should call them out.
6/28/2006 09:52 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
ecjr23

Yes, it is her show. She is worth billions, probably could run for President and win. But why is it ok for her to grill someone on her show, that is there to promote a movie that was made to show different point of views about racism? I do not blame Ludicris for being upset at how she treated him on her show. He wasn't there to promote an album, he was there as an actor promoting a movie.

And I think it would be a godd idea for her to hold the next hip-hop summit with Russell Simons. That way she can get a better understanding that not all rappers are advicating violence, drugs, etc.

6/28/2006 10:18 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Sarina22

Well, I didn't see that show that Ludacris was on. I'm guessing this was a show where the cast of "Crash" made an appearance? If so, you are right. The show should've been about the movie and she should not have called him out about albums and such, if that's what she did.
6/28/2006 10:28 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
rodrice

I have mad love and respect for Ms. Winfrey, but I do think so should embrace the younger black men in this country. She does tend to give the empression to her views (which seems to be mostly white middle aga women) that black men are not good men. she could have more black male guests like Cornel West, Henry Gates, Jr, Kevin Powell, Hill Harper someone.
6/28/2006 13:02 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
hmurchison
Preferred Member

Oprah simply is a non-factor in the black community and I think she prefers it that way. Her viewership is predominantly white and above 30. Trashing Hip-Hop pretty easy to do because many whites around the age of her viewers simply don't understand it nor its history.

All too often I feel that a "select" percentage of blacks are allowed to succeed and they know they can exceed and prosper as long as they aren't "rabblerousing" for the black cause.

Remember how popular Arsenio Hall was until he had Farakkan on his show? It pains me the the facade of black strength and power is allowed to exist in myth when the truth is we are still weak and in many ways weaker than the Latinos who have latino owned programming.

The only way we get some semblance of power is to ruffle a few feathers but very few want to fall on that sword. Oprah sure isn't.
6/28/2006 16:22 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
hmurchison
Preferred Member

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060627/OPINION03/606270336/1071/OPINION

Quote:
Would somebody please tell the hip-hop community to stop whining? Go drink some Cristal, buy some bling, pimp some hos, or do whatever it is they do for amusement, but please, cease, desist, shut up already about how Oprah Winfrey has hurt their feelings

See? We're good at tearing each other down. If this writer was white he'd be getting called into the office for a lecture but because he's black he has carte blanche to re-inforce negative stereotypes. There is nothing constructive about the opening of this article.

I ain't mad at Oprah or Bill Cosby or even really this writer. We can talk about things until we're blue in the face (or blue black LOL) but the reality is we're not hustlin' enough. There should be 10 Oprahs out there. Hill Harper should be a household name within the black community. We should be crafting out a our own image.

Oprah should call the Hip Hoppers out for the first 20 minutes and then spend the next 40 figuring out some solutions. Guidance and counsel is what the elder generations are to impart to the upcoming generations.
6/28/2006 16:31 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Sparkle

hmurchison wrote:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060627/OPINION03/606270336/1071/OPINION

Quote:
Would somebody please tell the hip-hop community to stop whining? Go drink some Cristal, buy some bling, pimp some hos, or do whatever it is they do for amusement, but please, cease, desist, shut up already about how Oprah Winfrey has hurt their feelings

See? We're good at tearing each other down. If this writer was white he'd be getting called into the office for a lecture but because he's black he has carte blanche to re-inforce negative stereotypes. There is nothing constructive about the opening of this article.

I ain't mad at Oprah or Bill Cosby or even really this writer. We can talk about things until we're blue in the face (or blue black LOL) but the reality is we're not hustlin' enough. There should be 10 Oprahs out there. Hill Harper should be a household name within the black community. We should be crafting out a our own image.

Oprah should call the Hip Hoppers out for the first 20 minutes and then spend the next 40 figuring out some solutions. Guidance and counsel is what the elder generations are to impart to the upcoming generations.

See, I agree with everything the author of this article is saying. Yet, I understand your point of view too. We should be bringing each other up instead of knocking each other down.
My point is this though; I don't want these rappers to be the images promoted. I want men like Hill Harper to be the images promoted. This really isn't an argument of "Why doesn't Oprah like Hip Hop" This is more of a "Why are Black Men and Women so Far Apart" What has made us almost hate and distrust each other. Fore, I assure you if one were to ask any of these rappers, “What is your problem with women?" They would not have an answer other than "Naw, I like females it's just that sex sales." How sad. What is even more devastating is that many of these so called men truly believe that they are helping our community by employing these women to shake their asses. Oprah should promote the black community and I believe she does. Hip Hop is just one facet of our community not its entirety. Hip Hop has exposure all over the world and because it is young, raw and disruptive it has a young diverse audience many of whom have never met a black person especially one from America. Thus, Hip Hop unfortunately has become or has begun to be seen as the sole aspect of our wealthy diverse heritage. Hip Hop in itself has become a stereotype of what it MEANS to be black. Oprah I think has decided to explore the other parts of what black is of where it has come from and where it is going. These rappers have not down that. They have limited themselves by using an originally brilliant artistic medium to format a culture of materialism, sexism and criminal conduct. They in effect have 'pimped' Hip Hop but no 'Ho' lives forever without care. Many of these rappers take no responsibility for the actions of those who listen to their music. They always say things like, "I'm just joking man" or "It's just a song" or "What I'm not allowed to use my imagination or be creative". Of course they are allowed to be creative and no they cannot control the actions of others but they must realize that what they say just to make a buck is being ingested and used as gospel to those too young or too ignorant to know better. Every person who lives a life of celebrity must be aware of the influence they have on popular culture and in this case black culture. Oprah is aware of this and uses a format to promote positive images and positive actions and if not exactly positive then informative ones. I’m not debating whether or not Oprah should have more black men on her show. I KNOW she should. Though, I think people mistake her white picket fence persona as just that a facade of what the "white man'' has made her into. Then I have to say to myself you don't become a Billionaire by playing by the white mans rules you become one by using those rules against him. If every rich black person played Step and Fetchit then people like Bryant Gumble and Condolezza Rice would be billionaires too. They're powerful but neither is as powerful as Ms. O. People often times mistake elegance, proper speech and sophistication as being a 'white thang' it's not.

(Last edit:: 6/29/2006 20:20)
6/29/2006 16:38 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
hmurchison
Preferred Member

I agree with the author only in the way certain mainstream acts are behaving. He makes a mistake thought to denigrate the whole genre. If we wish for more positive messages then we must support those rappers who hold their art up to higher standards. Currently though there are very few blacks at the top level who have the control and decision making power to prevent garbage. As long as their kids are going to private school and don't have to bear the brunt of negative reinforcement they aren't going to change.

Rappers shouldn't be complaining to Oprah...she's not the one keeping you in a virutal Plantation it's your studio. Perhaps someday we'll grow tired of the negativity and move on to something a bit more enlightening.
6/29/2006 23:04 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
VickanS
Preferred Member

Very interesting article indeed, with very sound points. I guess the problem for me is, I understand Oprah's point of view; and I can see where the rappers are coming from. The problem is, both should look past their agendas and move forward in a positive direction.

Those rappers won't change their mentalities anytime soon, and may not change them before they die. Oprah has based her life (and her show) on a set of moral standards that she's probably never going to change either.

I think the rappers should forget whining about not getting access to the show for their own reasons, and maybe try to build themselves up to where they are respected more. That way, people like Oprah (who has a lot of clout), will be more willing to participate. They have to understand that their views are not productive for society.

Oprah, on the other hand, should forget about proving a point by keeping thugs off her shows, (she's already proved that point). Instead, I think she should look to help promote change in the way hip-hop is seen, and the way it misrepresents women.

I think the problem is, she doesn't want to be associated with it (at all) because its image is so tarnished.
7/3/2006 06:39 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum Start > Entertainment > Celebrity Gossip > Is Oprah discriminating against rappers?
Pages: 2 ( [1] 2 >> ... Last page)

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.

Mybrotha.COM Home | News | Articles | Relationships | Health | Lifestyle | Entertainment | Business | Jobs & Careers
Quizzes | SpotLight | Message Boards | Sitemap | Links | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy
© 2002-2008 Mybrotha.COM   All Rights Reserved