Forum Start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum Start > The University Cafe > News Headlines & Stories > Sen. Barack Obama
Author
Thread
ecjr23

Sen. Barack Obama
Are we fianlly ready for a black president? I think he is our best choice and can do a lot for our people; not just African-American, but all race of people struggling to survive.

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/sen-obama-will-consider-2008-white-house/20061022103909990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have freed thousands more. - Harriet Tubman
10/22/2006 16:04 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
VickanS
Preferred Member

I have been seeing a lot of Barrack Obama on the news and talkshows lately. He really does seem like a good candidate for president. I guess I get confused about the question: Is America ready for a black president?

Like ecjr23 said, I think America needs a "good" president... whether black, white, green or whatever. I do think a black president will help create a even playing field for the parties and the races. I think more black people will have a better outlook on the US and life if a black man is in the white house. I also think other countrys will treat us different. The world looks at black people differntly than they do white people.
10/26/2006 08:24 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
ecjr23

I think the world looks at African-Americans differently, even Africans sometimes view us in a negative manner.

If I could have convinced more slaves that they were slaves, I could have freed thousands more. - Harriet Tubman
10/29/2006 13:34 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
vance87

I feel Obama can't be any worst than the slop we've been getting. I'm including the overrated Bill Clinton in this too. I had to say this because I've always felt like he masted pimping black folks. But no one can be as bad as this fool in office now.

People/pundits always reference his "limited" political experience as a possible detriment. I see it as a positive; a plus. The less jaded and corrupted by that culture the better, if you ask me.

My fear is Obama being paired with Hilary. I think she's as incompetent and corrupt as they come. It's ashame woman don't have a better representative. I really wish Conde had shown me some backbone and savvy to match her clearly superior intellect. If she had she would be 3x as qualified to run than Hilary or Obama. A Conde Rice with the backbone and savvy of her predecessor Colin Powell, would be impressive on a gender and race front. But hey, we can all dream..lol
4/15/2007 04:29 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
vance87

ecjr23 wrote:
I think the world looks at African-Americans differently, even Africans sometimes view us in a negative manner.

I agree with your statement. But I also believe that we African-Americans shoulder entirely too much responsibility in this regard. I'm speaking more directly to your African point. Too often I find too many of these brother and sisters bellowing the same company line about us. Many say that reinforce the negative images they hear before they get her. I can't deny their experience. I know there is some truth to it. I also know that there is alot of "looking" and "searching" out which validates preconceived bias.

Whenever I flip the circumstances and remind these brother and sisters how much they hate the stereotypes about them some of us have that they abhor, the convo takes an more interesting turn. Most that I've encountered just dismiss it and insist the issue is primarily with African-Americans.
4/15/2007 04:40 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum Start > The University Cafe > News Headlines & Stories > Sen. Barack Obama

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.

Mybrotha.COM Home | News | Articles | Relationships | Health | Lifestyle | Entertainment | Business | Jobs & Careers
Quizzes | SpotLight | Message Boards | Sitemap | Links | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy
© 2002-2008 Mybrotha.COM   All Rights Reserved