Forum Start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum Start > Culture & Lifestyle > In The Community > Has the NAACP become irrelevant?
Author
Thread
detroitchild

Has the NAACP become irrelevant?
I'm sure most of you have heard about Bruce Gordon stepping down from the helm of the NAACP. This has raised the issue of that organization's relevancy. Has the civil rights organization lost touch with Black America?
3/11/2007 10:36 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
thedrknghtno1

The NAACP as well as most major African-American orginizations are not really keeping in touch with their communities...they really need to be more involved and bring in the young with programs so they can have a stronger foundation for the future.
3/11/2007 17:24 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
detroitchild

I could not agree more. Those organizations seem to have become "Ivory Towers" in Black America using outdated strategies to address today's issues. The NAACP seem to be missing the boat on the issue for which it was created....CIVIL RIGHTS! Prime examples are insurance redlining, redrawn districts to dilute voting blocks, unfair lending practices, taxation without representation (DC comes to mind), rights of black men and women when they exit the penal system, etc. What are they doing to EFFECTIVELY address these issues?

Come on MyBrothas', let's hear from you on this issue!!!
3/18/2007 10:22 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Blksthrnbelle

I think that when a person or an organization want to make an impact in their community first you should look at the times and when we look at the times we then see the needs. I believe some of the leaders of the past were more interested in making a name for themselves and forgot what they were really supposed to be about. I dont deny that the NAACP held a certain and distinct relevancy but let us not forget that there were other people making change and had a voice and a community consciousness. The NAACP didnt entertain ideas other than their own and the click they develope even though these other people were Black as well they were left out of the equation to promote and generate equality. Had we pulled together and worked together back then we wouldnt be facing some of the issue we are facing today. Most of these other voices were ahead of their time. We I believe we had become comfortable in our psuedo new existence that we didnt see the day we are facing are the same issues we faced before. Only difference is that we have in some cases become our own enemy by the way we treat each other aka Willie Lynch Syndrome.
5/27/2007 20:08 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum Start > Culture & Lifestyle > In The Community > Has the NAACP become irrelevant?

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.

Mybrotha.COM Home | News | Articles | Relationships | Health | Lifestyle | Entertainment | Business | Jobs & Careers
Quizzes | SpotLight | Message Boards | Sitemap | Links | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy
© 2002-2008 Mybrotha.COM   All Rights Reserved