Forum Start - Register
Name Password Forgot your password?

Forum Start > Culture & Lifestyle > The Men's Room > Leadership & Strategy for Black Men
Author
Thread
bdcintX

Leadership & Strategy for Black Men
After reviewing the areas of our present situation on education and on our present political influence there is a small amount of strategy present in our communities.

Often the churches are involved in the process but they fall victim to the other factors of education and financial support needed to keep the attention of the masses.

People gravitate towards prospering situations and environments and under purpose driven leadership.

Another big issue that was noticed an article on MyBrotha.com on leadership is the absence of culture. I'm still searching for a solid position to take on this area as this is how many other minority sectors have prospered in the U.S.

For instance, if you look at the Chinese and Koreans, what makes them identifiable? Not only that but what makes them successful as a result of that identification? Meaning in what ways are they able to assemble and create an economy for themselves as a result of their culture. Well as I have seen, they are able to create cultural eating establishments, ways of living, health practices, etc that support their own micro-economy which to support that builds purpose and ultimately builds leaders within their communities.

Creating a similar system of development for the black community I think would be effective. Will it appear racists for those on the outside looking in? Of course, but with communication and PR conflicts can be minimized.

Teaching the young male early on how to maneuver in the present world that he lives in is highly important and can only happen if there is a cultural structure in place that is aligned with a successful outcome for the long term. This is why you often see successful black men fall under societies trappings because of an weak cultural system. Teaching young men how to manage themselves, their finances, and yes, their women, are skills needed to be a truly successful brotha today and to be able to pass-on that teaching. As warriors pass on the teachings of combat so should a strong man in society pass on social survival skills.

Also, the greatest weapon used against the black man is a woman (particularly the black woman). Our women are strong and intelligent but often misguided. If we are followers and not leaders then we (as men) run in circles wondering where is the finish line or direction to follow for fulfillment. Most women are attracted to strong men but what direction is that strength aimed towards - a lower purpose or a higher purpose (to live for yourself or for others). As a leader we (black men) can provide guidance to confused sistas, provide clearer direction for strong sistas and work side-by-side with sophisticated and direction orientated sistas to make the changes and influences need in our communities.

Lastly, a reinforcing observation was noticed in the cultural outlook of brothas that have taken trips to the motherland. They often returned to the U.S. with a sense of enlightenment and a renewed sense of purpose. They spoke with confidence and had a clear direction in their lives. Lastly, they were able to communicate this experience and motivate the leader within the next brotha. My opinion based on these observations was that some sort of cultural experience was found that sparked motivation and purpose to live and live the life that we are suppose to as black men.

Ownership and asset control is another aspect relating to our leadership. Most brothas know about business ownership and are aspiring to become or are active business owners. More professional development and foundation will keep the pace up in this area and prevent brothas from becoming complacent in their newfound success.

Again, developing a system to revitalize our culture on the experience level and reinforcing those cultural characteristics in Our schools, Our diets, Our social practices will as a result build our future and begin to position more strong Black leaders here in the U.S. and around the world.

I want to make a significant move in this area for our fellow brothas because we are all we have if you think about what’s happening around us and there are so many secrets to life that we have not uncovered as a lack of knowledge about Our true cultural system. With all that being said feel free to comment.

Also, here are some references from some books that I’ve read:

Bible
Blueprint for Black Power. ISBN: 1-879164-06-X
Metu Neter Vol 1 & 2 ISBN: 1-877662-03-8
The souls of black folk ISBN: 0-553-21336-9
The Black Scholar – Black Economics (Company in Sausalito, CA)
The Isis Papers – the keys to color ISBN: 0-88378-104-2
4/8/2007 12:34 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
detroitchild

Finally...a thread after my own heart!

You raise some very insightful and truthful points bdcintX. One point you elude to about those of black African descent visiting the motherland is a great one. Almost every group that has come to this country have a homeland they can point to with some sort of pride, regardless of the condition the country may be in. Cubans who fled their homes during the revolution still proudly call Cuba home. Same with the Chinese, Koreans, and myriad of middle easterners that populate my part of the country. For the most part we don't (or can't) do that. Regardless of the reason we must reconnect. It is a promise I made to myself to fulfill.

Second, most of our black organizations/entities are not truly in sync with a direction to move toward. To many have goals that do not benefit the communities that they are SUPPOSE to serve. You have many (not all) churches big and small that are more concerned with growing their membership for financial gain then working to build solid moral and economic foundations. The recent news concerning the NAACP is an indicator of how out of touch (whether perceived or real) most black organizations are. These organizations don't have a top down strategy to move a black agenda forward. There appears to be a disconnect between those that run these organizations and the masses they are suppose to represent.

Having said that, I think there are some success stories out there that need to be told. Also, a couple of recommended books by Claud Anderson to add to the fine list you've put together, 'Powernomics' and 'Black Labor, White Wealth'.

Peace to you and yours -
4/9/2007 08:55 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
bdcintX

I'm looking for the material from the author you've listed.

I'm glad that there are some brothas out there who have reached a point in their lives where they are ready to see what the future holds for our communities.

As I find out more and get more involved in the movement with others that are scencere in this cause then I will post more information. As always drop some knowledge to keep the focus.
4/9/2007 14:45 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
detroitchild

These are issues and concerns that should be viewed globally. I am seeking an organization(s) that address our concerns from this global view. I have been in touch with brothers and sisters from the UK who feel the same and there appears to be a movement to connect with Africa culturally, spiritually, and economically there. I'd like to see that here. I was hoping the organization TransAfrica would be that catalyst but attempts to contact them have been fruitless. Not giving up though.

I'd also like to see more brothers comment on these issues in this forum. It's important to get as much input and many points of views as possible.

4/10/2007 09:13 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
VickanS
Preferred Member

Quote:
Our women are strong and intelligent but often misguided. If we are followers and not leaders then we (as men) run in circles wondering where is the finish line or direction to follow for fulfillment.

Yes and I think this is a important place where black men and women need to learn to work closer together in relationships. If black men are supposed to be leaders, women need to let them lead. There is nothing bad about a woman having a good job and being independent. But a man will always be consused about his position in life if he is being challenged by a woman.

Quote:
Most women are attracted to strong men but what direction is that strength aimed towards - a lower purpose or a higher purpose (to live for yourself or for others). As a leader we (black men) can provide guidance to confused sistas, provide clearer direction for strong sistas and work side-by-side with sophisticated and direction orientated sistas to make the changes and influences need in our communities.

Yeah, but will those strong sistas be willing to listen. They have been caught up in western civilization for as long as black men have and they have adjusted to this lifestyle. They feel the need to be independent, powerful, decision making sistas. Nothing wrong with that I guess but it was all traditionally the role for the man.

Much applause to both posts by bdcintX and detroitchild. By the way I have read pieces and parts of The Isis papers. Very intriguing stuff. I dont agree with every Dr. Cress Welsing said, but its still powerful stuff.
4/10/2007 12:17 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
detroitchild

There are various issues pertaining to the relationship between black men and women. Many of them are listed here on Mybrotha.com. We have to realize that there have been some drastic changes in the roles of men and women over the last 2-3 generations. Black women are now on a relative equal footing, perhaps passing men, in terms of finance, education, stature, etc. (Note to my sistas, I know there are still inequalities in these and many other areas but work with me here).

Generations of men have been psychologically castrated right before the eyes of generations of our women and children. That being said both men and women have to learn how to adapt to today's equality. I think that many women are still learning how to deal with being successful and being a woman in western culture. I also think that men are having trouble dealing with this relatively new type of black women, and perhaps their own self esteem as well. We both may have to take a step back and learn/determine what IS the role of both the black male and female in today's world and what standards are we to use in this determination. Do we use western (white/European) cultural standards as a model? Afro-centric standards? Some other standard? A combination of standards?

Lastly, we have to TAKE our rightful role as black men in this world. For instance, where is our collective voices when a person like Don Imus can call our women "NAPPY HEADED HOES"? More importantly, where are our voices when our own men (and some women) call our sistas much, much worse. Most of us just mumble, complain, come up with excuses and yet we wonder why our women look at us the way they do.

We gotta step up to the plate brothers and respect ourselves, respect our women, respect our children THEN respect will come from others.

P.S. - Still looking for that international organization that is addressing OUR issues.
4/10/2007 18:56 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
bdcintX

International Organization
The OAAU (Organization of African American Union) was the international organization that Malcom-X created with a few nations in Africa like Morrocco, Liberia, Egypt, etc. However when X and King passed the motivation to pursue and work out the kinks slowed down and the forces that be put obsticals upon obstacles to ensure its failure.

The AU (African Union) is still running strong today in Ghana, Africa and is headed by Alpha Oumar Konare'. Other major players are Ethiopia (Addis Abbaba) and Egypt (Ciaro).

The Son of Ra has outstanding links to answer many questions to a workable solution to set the foundation and pick up the pace where Garvey, X, and King left off.

But the equation is quite clear: Military type structure like the FOI. True and developed leaders. And international unity economically, culturally, and spiritually (not in practice but in a common direction. convincing to change religions or debating which is best will waste time that we cant afford).
12/26/2007 02:38 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
doneit

Brothers allow me to insert a thought or two. Malcolm X said, "by any means necessary." This was a paraphrase taken from The Prince by Machavelli. Machavelli stated, "if one is to be successful, one must sleep with the devil."

Machavelli's The Prince is the yardstick by which every democracy, dictatorship, republic or kingdom uses. It was Machavelli that tells rulers, presidents and kings how to obtain power, keep power and use power. He is the one that said power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely and IMAGINARY POWER IS AS DANGEROUS AS REAL POWER.

It is Machavelli that teaches a politician to promise the masses anything until he is elected, then he can do as he please. It was Machavelli that every national power, such as the USA uses to invade other countries (IRAQ, kill Saddam, his sons and anyone in authority) so when the people revolt, they can't go back to the old regime.

Many people think it was William Lynch that taught the slave owners how to domesticate, endoctrinate and control their slaves. Lynch could not do so in his infamous 15 minute speech. It was Machavelli's The Prince.

The word is EMPOWERMENT. Black women want to be empowered but, there are only a few blacks that even know about Machavelli's The Prince. So what is happening to black women isn't empowerment, it's transactiional analysis or brain washing. Remember, "by any means necessary?" Do you think for one minute white society is going to really empower a black woman or brain wash a black woman into thinking she is being empowered? Isn't if funny, the extent of a black woman's empowerment is only over a black man.

Machavelli stated, no one will surrender their power. One must take power from another. Black women have that IMAGINARY POWER and as stated above IMAGINARY POWER is just as dangerous as real power. As long as the black woman percieves herself to have power, she will never relinquish that power. Try talking to a black woman and see will rebel, resist and restrain your efforts to tell her that, it's just imaginary power that she has.
8/1/2009 16:23 Link - Ip: Logged - Quote:
Forum Start > Culture & Lifestyle > The Men's Room > Leadership & Strategy for Black Men

Quick reply
You need to login before you can post.

Mybrotha.COM Home | News | Articles | Relationships | Health | Lifestyle | Entertainment | Business | Jobs & Careers
Quizzes | SpotLight | Message Boards | Sitemap | Links | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy
© 2002-2008 Mybrotha.COM   All Rights Reserved