Mark Anthony Thomas
|Other Titles:||Journalist, Literary Artist,|
The Spotlight is is where we recognize some of the world's most successful black men. We salute African-American men and black men across the globe who strive to attain life's most precious goals. Featured men include authors, technicians, artists, businessmen, songwriters, teachers, engineers, motivational speakers, and military veterans.
If you would like to suggest a successful Black man for the Mybrotha.COM Spotlight, Tell Us More About Him
|Mark Anthony Thomas is an award winning author, journalist, literary artist, and motivational speaker. The Atlanta-based author is a member of the Academy of American Poets. His latest book, The Poetic Repercussion: A Poetic & Musical Narrative, earned him a nomination for 2005 Georgia Author of the Year-Poetry and appeared on the National Best Sellers List for Contemporary Poetry in 2006. He has been featured in Time Magazine, on NBC, and the cover of Booking Matters Magazine.
Thomas, who has been featured in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Time Magazine,
and on National Public Radio, has published more than 200 journalism articles and
columns in newspaper and magazine publications. He has been honored by Atlantaís NBC 11-Alive as a Future Leader of Tomorrow, the Southeastern Journalism
Conference, and served on the leadership team for the National Association of
Black Journalistís Atlanta affiliate. Thomas is the President of the Board of
Directors for Helping Teens Succeed, Inc.
Professionally, Thomas has spent nearly 5 years with Georgia-Pacific Corporation as their Senior Coordinator, Community Programs, and recently accepted the position as the Manager, Corporate Partnerships for Hands on Network, Inc.
Thomas has written works for the following: Children's Miracle Network, Atlanta Martin Luther King Jr. Convocation, National Business and Professional Women, Athens International Street Festival, Georgia Holocaust Commission, Women Against Domestic Violence, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Atlanta International Art Competition.
Thomas is a graduate of the University of Georgia, where he became the first African
American Editor of the independent daily newspaper, The Red & Black, and coordinated the University's 40th Anniversary Commemoration of Desegregation.
- Hands On Network
- Georgia-Pacific Corporation
- The Red & Black Publishing Company
- The University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- Redan HIgh School, Stone Mountain, GA
- Academy of American Poets, Inc.
- Poetry Atlanta, Inc.
- National Urban League, Young Professionals
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- Leadership Atlanta, 2006 LEAD Class
- Helping Teens Succeed, Inc. (Chairman, Board of Directors)
- University of Georgia Alumni Association (Board Member)
- Atlanta Business League, Inc.
- 2004 Southern Regional Council's 50th Commemoration .....Brown v. Board (Program Planning Chairman)
- UGA 40th Anniversary of Desegregation
.....(Student Planning Chairman)
- 2003 National Conference on Black Philanthropy
.....(Public Relations Chairman)
- Books for Soldiers, Inc.
- Meadowcreek High School Literacy Festival
- 2004 Principal For A Day - Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce
- National Education Association - Read Across America Day
- National Youth Service Day - Literacy Stroll
- National Black History Month - Read In Chain
- Federal Faith-Based Initiative-Federal Reserve System
- Upward Bound/TRIO Programs
- Future Business Leaders of America
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Center - Salute to Greatness Dinner
- Los Angeles Black Book Expo Awards-Winner (Poetry)
- Georgia Author of the Year Awards-Finalist (Poetry)
- AUC Magazine - Top 30 Under 30
- Time Magazine, Outstanding Student Leader Profile
- NBC 11-Alive Future Leader of Tomorrow
- Black Issues In Higher Education (Top Ten Events 2001)
- Southern Conference on Journalism Award Winner
- Southeastern Council on Foundations, Hull Fellowship Program
- Blue Key Honor Fraternity
- Atlanta Braves Academic Scholarship (English)
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Southern Region Brother of the Year
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Georgia Brother of the Year 1999
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Georgia Brother of the Year 2000
For more detailed information about the life and work of Mark Anthony Thomas, visit: www.markanthonythomas.com.
Get Mybrotha.COM Newsletters
Enter your e-mail address to start receiving the Mybrotha.COM Newsletter
INTERACT WITH US