Lifestyle » Education » Free Scholarship Opportunities For Black Males
Free Scholarship Opportunities For Black Males
- The Call Me MISTER Teacher Recruitment Program was developed to recruit, train, certify and secure employment for minority males as elementary teachers in the public schools of South Carolina. This program is highly unique and contributes to the talent pool of teachers by identifying and supporting young Black men who are dedicated to mentoring and teaching children.
The program is designed to address the critical shortage of African-American male teachers in our nations' universities, particularly among South Carolina's lowest performing schools. Program participants are selected from socio-economically disadvantaged and educationally at-risk communities.
The program provides the following:
- Tuition assistance for admitted students pursuing approved programs of study at participating colleges.
- An academic support system to help assure their success.
- A cohort system for social and cultural support.
Dr. Roy Jones, a lecturer and current project director for the Eugene T. Moore School of Education’s Call Me MISTER Program at Clemson University, has served as both associate professor and chair of the Division of Education at Claflin University in Orangeburg, S.C. He has presented several seminars, forums, and panel discussions regarding racial and cultural issues in education.
The Call Me MISTER program combines the vast resources of Clemson University with the individualized instructional programs offered by four historically Black colleges (HBCU) in South Carolina: Benedict College, Claflin University, Morris College and South Carolina State University.
To further broaden the opportunity, participating students have the option of first attending one of six 2-year partner colleges before transferring to a 4-year institution to complete their baccalaureate degree.
- Benedict College
- Claflin University
- Clemson University
- Greenville Technical College
- Midlands Technical College
- Morris College
- Orangeburg-Calhoun Technical College
- Tri-County Technical College
- Trident Technical College
- South Carolina State University
For an online application to the program, visit: www.callmemister.clemson.edu
About Call Me Mister Teacher Recruitment Program
©Copyright 2007 - The Call Me MISTER program is an effort to address the critical shortage of African American male teachers in South Carolina.
Get the Mybrotha.COM Newsletter
Enter your e-mail address